“Good-bye, I′ve barely said a word to you, it is
always like that at parties, we never see the people, we never say the things
we should like to say, but it is the same everywhere in this life. Let us hope
that when we are dead things will be better arranged. At any rate, we shall not
always be having to put on low dresses. And yet, one never knows. We may
perhaps have to display our bones and worms on great occasions. Why not? Look,
there goes old Rampillon, do you see any great difference between her and a
skeleton in an open dress? It is true that she has every right to look like
that, for she must be at least a hundred. She was already one of those sacred
monsters before whom I refused to bow the knee when I made my first appearance
in society. I thought she had been dead for years; which for that matter would
be the only possible explanation of the spectacle she presents. It is
impressive and liturgical; quite Camposanto!”
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen